Health Clubs See 5.3% Growth in Revenue from 2013 to 2014
According to the recently published 2015 IHRSA Profiles of Success report, the health & fitness club segment posted revenue growth of 5.3% from 2013 to 2014. 6
Fitness-only clubs reported median net membership growth of 4.2%, while clubs that were part of a chain reported median net membership growth of 9.4%, the highest of all segments observed.
Independent, multipurpose health & fitness clubs reported median retention rates of 69% and 79%, respectively.
Additional key fitness industry performance data include:
- Fitness-only clubs reported the largest growth in revenue across all segments by club type (+8.9%).
- Multipurpose clubs generated the highest revenue per member ($810.80).
- Smaller clubs generated less revenue per individual member ($637.50) in comparison with larger clubs ($1,298.60), but achieved greater gross revenue growth (8.2% vs. 3.5%).
- Payroll accounted for 39% (median) of total revenue for the clubs responding.
- Reinvested in fitness equipment accounted for roughly 3% of total revenue.
For a copy of the complete report visit the IHRSA Store.