2014 Publicly Announced Fitness Industry Acquisitions
The following is a recap of the publicly announced mergers and acquisitions in the fitness industry in 2014. Publicly announced transactions represent a tiny fraction of the overall deal activity in the fitness industry since most companies are privately owned and do not announce any sales or acquisitions they have made.
- LA Fitness (Fitness International LLC) acquired 10 Vision Quest Sport and Fitness clubs in Seattle.
- 24 Hour Fitness acquired 32 Bally Total Fitness clubs in New York, New Jersey, Denver and the San Francisco Bay Area at the end of the year.
- 24 Hour Fitness was sold to an investment group led by New York-based private equity firm AEA Investors; the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, Toronto; and Fitness Capital Partners, a fund organized by Dean Bradley Osborne and Global Leisure Partners. The Wall Street Journal reported that it was $1.85 billion.
- Life Time Fitness was acquired by Leonard Green & Partners, TPG and LNK Partners in a “go-private” transaction for more than $4 billion.
- Equinox, New York acquired six of the Sports Club/LA clubs from Millennium Partners for an estimated $110 million.
- Planet Fitness filed a successful IPO and went public.
- The Bay Club Co. was purchased by York Capital Management, JMCA Ventures and The Bay Club Co.’s management team, including President and CEO Matthew Stevens. During the same year The Bay Club also purchased StoneTree Golf Club in Novato, California and 11 Spectrum Athletic Clubs for an undisclosed sum.
- Gold’s Gym acquired 23 of Rush Fitness’s clubs which became corporate-owned Gold’s Gym facilities. Gold’s Gym also purchased eight of the nine Aspen Athletic Clubs in Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas.
- Club One was acquired by Active Sports Club in San Francisco for an undisclosed sum.
- Roarke Capital Group acquired a stake in Anytime Fitness.
If you are interested in buying or selling a fitness club and would like to understand your options, please contact Rich Jackim with Sports Club Advisors at (224) 513-5142.